This is a creative use of Aurum Poultry Co.’s salted...
Salted egg yolk sablé, cheese custard ice cream and botrytis by Victor Liong
This is a creative use of Aurum Poultry Co.’s salted duck egg, the rich savouriness makes the sable irresistible and is the perfect pairing for the cheese and botrytis dessert wine.
Salted Duck Egg Sable
- 4 x Moorabool Valley salted duck egg yolks SHOP NOW
- 215 gm Unsalted butter
- 110 gm Caster sugar
- 250 gm Plain flour
- 2 x egg yolks
Cheese Custard Ice Cream
- 1725 ml Full cream milk
- 300 gm Caster sugar
- 225 gm Egg yolks
- 250 gm Soft cheese – e.g triple cream, brie, camembert
Step 1 Salted Duck Egg Sable
- Steam salted duck egg yolks at 100˚C for 10 minutes, allow to cool slightly and push through a sieve.
- Cream butter and sugar together, add the sieved salted-duck egg yolks, and egg yolks.
- Mix until creamy, add flour until a smooth paste forms, don’t overwork.
- Rest dough for 30 minutes in the fridge – after resting, form the dough into 8g balls.
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C.
- Lightly dust the work surface and press the dough balls with a cookie press.
- Lay out on baking tray and bake for 8-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
Step 2 Cheese Custard Ice Cream
- Heat milk in a saucepan, until almost boiling.
- Whisk yolks and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Pour a small amount of hot milk over the yolk mixture and mix well.
- Gradually add the remaining milk to the egg, mixing after each addition.
- Pour mixture back into a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring with a rubber spatula to prevent overcooking and sticking.
- Once mixture is at 80˚C, remove from the heat, blend in the cheese with a stick blender.
- Chill in the refrigerator – once chilled churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Freeze.
Step 3 To Serve
- Keep serving plate in freezer.
- Scoop ice cream into the centre of the plate.
- Place sable on top of ice cream scoop.
- Pour Botrytis Semillon over ice cream and serve immediately.
Enjoy your salted egg yolk sablé, cheese custard ice cream and botrytis.
The flavour profile of this dish is traditional and authentic,...
A whole chicken is a festive way to start the...
With the Lunar New Year taking place in the Australian...